Burst of Ukrainian Missiles on Sevastopol: Moscow Summons US Ambassador

Ukraine's missile strike killed 4 civilians, while 153 people, including 27 children, were seriously injured. Kremlin: “A new bloody crime by the Kiev regime, sponsored and armed by Washington”

As the Russian city of Sevastopol mourns its victims, the Russian Foreign Ministry summoned US Ambassador to Moscow Lynne Tracy in response to Ukraine’s missile strike on Sevastopol on Sunday, June 23. During the raid, Ukraine launched several long-range US ATACMS missiles equipped with cluster warheads, the use of which is prohibited by numerous international agreements. One of the missiles hit a very crowded beach, resulting in many deaths and injuries. Doctors fear the death toll will rise.

Before summoning the head of the US diplomatic mission, the Russian Foreign Ministry issued a statement calling the Ukrainian raid “a new bloody crime of the Kiev regime sponsored and armed by Washington.” According to Moscow, the raid was “directed against the civilian population of Sevastopol and was accompanied by numerous casualties, including children.”

The international press has widely quoted Russia’s statement. “Washington’s actions encouraging Ukraine’s pro-Nazi authorities to take military action will not go unpunished,” Italian news agency ASKA News quoted the Russian Foreign Ministry as saying that “the United States bears the same responsibility as Ukraine with regard to the inhuman attack.”

In addition to the bloody Ukrainian missile raid, which also destroyed a residential neighborhood in the city of Sevastopol, the situation in Russia was exacerbated over the weekend by a terrorist attack by radical Islamists in Dagestan, one of Russia’s North Caucasus republics. On Sunday, June 23, a group of armed men belonging to the radical Islamist core attacked a synagogue and a Russian church in the cities of Derbent and Makhachkala. Fifteen law enforcement officers and four civilians, including an Orthodox priest, were killed in the course of an anti-terrorist operation launched by the authorities and lasting until Monday morning.